Among other things I’ve been working on since my last update, I’ve been working flat out on implementing game-changing powers, improving Samurai Showdown’s visuals to ensure players know exactly what is going on, and hunting down and fixing a very annoying profile bug. While the latest version of the game hasn’t been deployed to Itch.IO just yet, you can expect it to be on our page shortly.
For more on what exactly has changed and what’s next, read below the line!
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts, so let me know via Facebook or Twitter.
So today will be a pretty short update due to the fact that I’m pretty close to done with Samurai Showdown from a baseline feature standpoint and I’m starting to clean things up to make the game slick and pretty. There will, of course, be a lot of work to do in the future once user testing starts around March, but for now, I’m taking advantage of the time off to work on some side projects and develop my skills.
Now with that said, let’s talk about what’s been done since the last update!
While I’ve been too busy to work on Samurai Showdown as much as I’d like due to a combination of family responsibilities and Global Game Jame 2017 being a thing, I have managed to find some spare time in which to work on the game. While the next PlayUp Perth (read: the one on the 3rd of Feb) is dedicated to showing off the games we made during GGJ17, I should be able to take Samurai Showdown out in public again soon and get some feedback. Furthermore, and speaking of Global Game Jam, I should have a blog on it, our game, and the PlayUp GGJ event for it sometime after the event has passed.
In any case, let’s talk about what’s been added, what’s been changed, and what’s being planned for the future!
I know that it’s been all of one day since I last posted, but I’ve done a bit of work since my last dev blog, and I decided that I may as well give you a proper update as to what’s going on. While I’ve still yet to properly go over the various questionnaires that were filled out at the Perth Games Festival, I was able to identify several things that I could work on between now and the end of the semester. So, without stalling any longer, let’s talk about the most recent changes!
This is just a quick update on what’s been happening to Samurai Showdown in the lead-up to the September 3rd Play Up Perth event. While I have been pretty busy since my last post on the 23rd, I’ve managed to find the time between working on Small Gods and other assessments to tinker with Samurai Showdown (apparently I hate myself and think that working on two games for my game dev class is a good idea :v). In any case, let’s talk about what’s been done.
Since my last update, I’ve been working on both the game and the project proposal in order to get them into a state fit for showing off. While there’s still a fair bit of work left to do it’s steadily getting there and I’m rapidly approaching the point where I no longer need to add AI Behaviours.In any case, since my last update I have:
The “”””fun”””” part of game development.
As part of my game dev work tonight I fixed four bugs/issues that were present in the game and discovered a new one that I’ve never seen before. The bugs fixed during this dev session were:
- The inability to change a worker’s job.
- The worksite of a builder being set to null for five seconds after completing a building. This resulted in workers completely freaking out as their behaviours would get confused.
- The camera movement only working properly when the player was facing forwards.
- Workers having their workplace being set to null when dropped. This prevented me from moving workers to and from the storehouse after they had filled their inventory with goods.
This is just a little update designed to show you what I’ve added since my last post so it’s nothing too exciting. In any case, the player is now able to assign workplaces to AIs simply by picking them up and dropping them on a building. Building-sites (the precursors to actual buildings) will create builders out of the AI dropped on them, farms will create farmers, and mines will create miners.
Another short update but this time, despite being about AI, I’m not declaring a blood feud.
Seriously, though, I’ve just added the basics of a builder AI to my game and aside from some seemingly small things they work okay! They’re currently very dumb (they don’t use resources when building, they sometimes get stuck inside completed buildings, like the other AI they generate exceptions that slow the game to a crawl if they don’t have something to do, etc etc) but for the most part, they work. I also seem to have broken the resource production code in the process of setting up my builders —I think the work distance check is messing things up— but I should hopefully have that fixed by next week.
Just a little update. I’ve changed the way the game handles movement so that players can lean in really closely to the terrain in order to examine things while still retaining the ability to move around using an Xbox 360 controller. It’s not perfect, but it works for now and I’ll improve it in the next few days.
I’ve also added a menu screen because I might as well get started on that, and I’ve gotten started on asynchronous loading so the game doesn’t freeze when the player tries to load the next level (though the testing level is so small that you don’t see it). Asynchronous loading will also give me the ability to have all sorts of fancy, animated loading screens (including games within games if I hate myself).
Finally, I added gaze input for selecting buttons using some great scripts provided by Peter Koch at http://talesfromtherift.com/.