It’s just a small update today as I’ve been pretty busy getting Samurai Showdown ready for PlayUp Perth’s September 1st event. I’ll do a proper write up on what the event was like and the sort of feedback I got, but needless to say, it was a very useful experience for me. Now, without further adieu, let’s talk about the changes I’ve made since my last dev blog.
I know that it’s been less than a week since my last dev blog on Small Gods, but I’ve finally gotten around to making that video I promised you and I’ve added some stuff, too. As a result, I felt like now is as good a time as any to do an update on where the game stands now. So without further adieu, let’s talk about what’s changed.
As you’re probably already aware thanks to the title of this post, this isn’t a standard dev blog as I haven’t gotten enough done since my last one. However, I have done a significant chunk of work on a feature that’s been desperately needed and I’ve finally been able to grab some quick images!
I know I’ve already written a post for today, but I decided to write about the work I’ve done on Small Gods in the six days since my last post. I’ve also decided to try and enforce a slightly more rigid outline of what’s been done in order to make these kinds of posts easy to read in the future.
I will, however, be keeping this update short due to a lack of images (when I get my first models and/or my logo back I promise I’ll spam pictures of them everywhere :D)
…. Alright, I’ll admit that it’s been awhile since my last post here, but I have access to an Oculus Rift again and can get back to work!
In the two weeks since university life has started again, I’ve done a fair amount of work on Small Gods and another project that I’ll be talking about Soon(TM).
For starters, I’ve recently set up a Trello board dedicated to helping me —and the people who’ve foolishly agreed to help me 😀 — follow the basic SCRUM methodology. This was pretty badly needed as previously I’d been doing everything without a real plan and I need to get the game in as good a state as possible within the few months I have left as uni.
As you can see it’s nothing much at the moment, but I’m hoping to properly fill it out as the weeks go on so that everything is in order and everyone knows what they’re doing.
Since my last update, I’ve been working on both the game and the project proposal in order to get them into a state fit for showing off. While there’s still a fair bit of work left to do it’s steadily getting there and I’m rapidly approaching the point where I no longer need to add AI Behaviours.In any case, since my last update I have:
The “”””fun”””” part of game development.
As part of my game dev work tonight I fixed four bugs/issues that were present in the game and discovered a new one that I’ve never seen before. The bugs fixed during this dev session were:
- The inability to change a worker’s job.
- The worksite of a builder being set to null for five seconds after completing a building. This resulted in workers completely freaking out as their behaviours would get confused.
- The camera movement only working properly when the player was facing forwards.
- Workers having their workplace being set to null when dropped. This prevented me from moving workers to and from the storehouse after they had filled their inventory with goods.
This is just a little update designed to show you what I’ve added since my last post so it’s nothing too exciting. In any case, the player is now able to assign workplaces to AIs simply by picking them up and dropping them on a building. Building-sites (the precursors to actual buildings) will create builders out of the AI dropped on them, farms will create farmers, and mines will create miners.
So this feature was a long time coming given the inspiration for this game and the overall usefulness that this sort of thing would provide, but I have finally added the ability to pick things up. It was actually pretty painless to implement (I guess I’m getting good at this :v), but the player is now able to pickup game objects that their mouse cursor (the big white sphere and light) is hovering over by holding the A button on their xbox controller as long as they don’t have a menu up. I’m not 100% happy with the way it works currently, for instance, the AI will recalculate the path to their target while in mid-air and they don’t alway land where their path begins.
However, I’ll be able to fix these issues easily enough as well as implement proper, physics-based falling to objects and also add some discrimination to the pickup behaviour as right now it would mix up objects rather than only picking up objects of the same type.
Another short update but this time, despite being about AI, I’m not declaring a blood feud.
Seriously, though, I’ve just added the basics of a builder AI to my game and aside from some seemingly small things they work okay! They’re currently very dumb (they don’t use resources when building, they sometimes get stuck inside completed buildings, like the other AI they generate exceptions that slow the game to a crawl if they don’t have something to do, etc etc) but for the most part, they work. I also seem to have broken the resource production code in the process of setting up my builders —I think the work distance check is messing things up— but I should hopefully have that fixed by next week.